Who Can Submit?
- Undergraduates: Political Science Majors and Minors
- Graduates: Masters of Public Policy Students
What papers are considered for publication?
- Book Reviews
- Senior Projects
- Comparative Papers
- Op-Ed Pieces
- Personal Experience Essays
- Master Theses
- Papers written anytime during your time at Cal Poly.
When are papers accepted?
- Submissions are currently open for the seventh edition, to be published in the Spring.
What format should the papers follow?
- At least 1500 words in length (or about 4½ double-spaced pages)
- Must relate to Political Science in some capacity
How Do I Submit?
There are two avenues through which your paper may be brought to the attention of Paideia: through a professor recommendation or through self-submission.
1. Professor Recommendation: A professor may, upon grading papers for a class, recommend an exceptionally outstanding paper.
- If a professor recommends your paper, you will be copied on an email the professor sends to the journal.
- Once you receive a recommendation by a professor, you will have 7 days to accept the recommendation. In order to accept a recommendation, you must submit your paper to the journal via the submission form.
- If a professor recommends your paper you will automatically be bumped into the second round of the editorial process.
2. Self-Submission: To submit a paper, fill out the submission form.
- While a professor recommendation is by no means necessary to submit a paper, it does serve as a screening process for the editorial board. Therefore, if you wish to submit a paper on your own accord, please include an abstract.
- Self-Submissions must include an abstract following the cover page, but preceding the actual paper. This abstract should briefly (approx. 100-300 words) explain the purpose of the work and provide a basic context that allows the reviewers to better understand the material at hand.
- The paper does not have to be written for a class. However, all papers—whether written for a class, recommended by a professor, or written for leisure—will be reviewed by the same high standards.
- Please note, that you may submit more than one paper for publication consideration.