Change of Major

Political Science

You must have completed at least two quarters at Cal Poly prior to submitting a change of major. To achieve a transfer into the political science major, you must have a personal interview with the Political Science Department chair to complete an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA). The following will be incorporated into the ICMA:

  • Must have a cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 2.8 or higher or you must have 3.2 or higher in both of the last two consecutive quarters, with a minimum of 12 units each quarter.
  • Must have completed at least two political science courses at Cal Poly with a 3.2 GPA or higher. POLS 112 may not be used as one of the two courses taken.
  • Must have completed STAT 217 or equivalent with a grade of C- or better.
  • Must not be on academic probation at the time the major change is completed.

The above policy also applies to students wishing to add the political science major as a second major.

Students who enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with the department and are not accepted into the political science major within two quarters will not be eligible to reapply to the major. In this event, students are advised to consider pursuing a minor offered by the Political Science Department.

Department Contact: Elizabeth Lowham, Department Chair, 805-756-2919 

Related Content